Ritalin 10 mg pills are the lower version of available Ritalin. These Ritalin tablets contain 10 mg of methylphenidate hydrochloride as the active ingredient. Apart from that it also includes:
- Calcium phosphate
- Magnesium stearate
- Purified talc
- Wheat starch
Most people worldwide buy Ritalin medicine to cure symptoms of ADHD and narcolepsy effectively.
Methylphenidate medication may not suit well for every individual. As there are chances of developing severe side effects, it is not recommended for individuals suffering from specific health conditions including:
- Depression or other mental illness
- Bipolar disorder
- Suicidal tendency
- Numbness in the hands or feet
- Addiction to other opioids or drugs
- Certain heart problems
- During pregnancy
- Breastfeeding mothers
- High blood pressure
- Allergic to methylphenidate
- An overactive thyroid
- Personal or family history of tics or Tourette’s syndrome
- Severe anxiety, depression, etc.
It is most important to inform the concerned doctor if you have any of the above-mentioned health-related conditions or are taking medications for such conditions. Your doctor needs to take special precautions if you/your child have any of the above conditions. Only after accessing every detail, the authorized doctor should prescribe the best-suited dose to counter ADHD symptoms.
This medicine can affect your developing baby if you are using it during pregnancy. The active ingredient in Ritalin 10 mg medicine can also pass into breast milk. Hence, take proper precautions and the doctor’s advice during the time of pregnancy.
Possible Drug Interactions with Ritalin 10 mg
As we previously learned, Ritalin 10 mg medication is prohibited for individuals going through certain medical conditions. The active ingredients of Ritalin may also interact with the medications used to cure those medical conditions. For the same reason, Ritalin 10 mg pills are not recommended for individuals medicated with the following:
- Medicines for increased blood pressure
- Alpha 2 agonist medicines
- Oral anticoagulant medications
- Some anticonvulsants medicines that are used to treat epilepsy or fits
- Medicines used to treat depression, such as tricyclic
- Antidepressants like Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, etc.
- Oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors)
- Other sedatives and anti-anxiety drugs such as Xanax, Valium, Adderall, Suboxone, etc.
- Medicines that may influence the level of dopamine in the body
- Medicines used to treat Parkinson’s disease or psychosis
- Certain medicines can raise the level of serotonin in the body. Such medicines should not be mixed with Ritalin 10 mg pills.
Proper Dosage of Ritalin 10 mg
Whenever you use Ritalin 10 mg pills or any other medicine, it should always be used strictly according to a prescription. Most of the time individuals who try to tamper with the prescription or intake the medicine in a greater amount than prescribed find themselves forming a habit of it or getting addicted. Therefore, it is better to get habituated to taking proper doses on time rather than being addicted.
- The doses needed by an individual may change while switching to a different brand, strength, or form of Ritalin medicine.
- Avoid any kind of medication errors by sticking to your doctor’s prescription.
- Ritalin 10 mg immediate release (IR) tablets are usually taken 2 to 3 times a day as per the prescription by adults and children above the age of 6 years. Taking Ritalin IR tablets 30 to 45 minutes before a meal or before the greatest effect is needed is highly recommended.
- The Ritalin extended-release capsules are taken once daily in the morning as their effects last longer than immediate-release tablets. You may take Ritalin capsules with or without food depending on the prescription.
- The daily dose of Ritalin medication must not exceed 60 mg.
- Generally, an individual need to swallow the Ritalin extended-release capsules as a whole. If you are unable to swallow the capsule, then you can open it and mix the contents of the capsule with soft food such as applesauce, pudding, or yogurt and consume the mixture without chewing.
- Your treatment for ADHD using Ritalin 10 mg may also include counseling or other therapies.
Missing a Dose and Overdose
If case you or your child forgets to take a dose of Ritalin 10 mg, take the dose as soon as you remember about it. Make sure to amount to take the next dose in the same interval. Do not take a double dose to make up for the dose that you missed. This will increase the chances of getting an unwanted side effect. If you are getting trouble remembering when to take your doses, your may ask your pharmacist for some hints and helps.
- Keep the medicine in the original container unless it is time to take a dose of Ritalin.
- Try to store the pills in a cool and dry place. Avoid them from direct heat and sunlight.
- Do not store Ritalin 10 mg tablets or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep them away from moisture.
- Do not leave it in the car unattended. Make sure to keep them away from the reach of children.