Ritalin is a popular central nervous system stimulant used to treat people who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy. It works in the brain by affecting certain chemicals and nerves which helps with impulse control and hyperactivity. This treatment of ADHD also includes doctor’s counselling and therapies. Ritalin also helps in focusing and concentrating on things better than before.
Ability and Usage
- It is used to treat Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in both children(above 6 years) and adults.
- It helps to treat people who are suffering from narcolepsy.
Different Available Forms and Doses
Doses for Attention Deficit Disorder (Adults)
- Immediate release: Maximum dose should not exceed 60mg. Divide it into parts and take twice or twice a day, 30-45 min before having a meal.
- Extended-release: Maximum dose should not exceed 60mg. It is available in the form of 20mg tablets. It should use when titrated 8-hour IR dose corresponds to the available 8-hour ER tablet.
Doses for Narcolepsy(Adults)
- Immediate release: Take the medicine twice or twice a day, 30-45 min before having a meal. The maximum dose should not exceed 60mg.
- Extended-release: It is available in the form of 20mg tablets. It should use when titrated 8-hour IR dose corresponds to the available 8-hour ER tablet. The maximum dose should not exceed 60mg
Doses for Attention Deficit Disorder(children)
This medicine is approved to use by children who are 6 years and older.
- Immediate release: The starting dose should be 5mg two times a day. Then with time increase the amount to 5-10 mg per weak. According to the need, change the doses with time. The maximum dose should not exceed 60mg. Take the medicine before breakfast and lunch.
- Extended-release: It should use when titrated 8-hour IR dose corresponds to the available 8-hour ER tablet. Do not exceed the dose of more than 60mg. The initial amount is 20mg once per day, in the morning.
Doses for Narcolepsy(Children)
- Immediate release: Dose should not exceed more than 60mg. The starting dose should be 5mg two times a day before breakfast and lunch. Then with time increase the amount to 5-10 mg per weak. According to the need, change the doses with time.
- Extended-release: The initial amount is 20mg once per day, in the morning. It should use when titrated 8-hour IR dose corresponds to the available 8-hour ER tablet. Do not exceed the dose of more than 60mg.
How to Buy Ritalin Online?
You can buy Ritalin from offline and online stores by showing the doctor’s prescription. Prices will differ in both cases. Buying it online will be more easier and convenient. Follow the following steps to place your order:
- Search for Big pharma USA website
- Visit the page and select “shop” from the top
- Choose the ADHD category from all the given options
- Click on “Buy Ritalin Online”
- And select your prescribed doses accordingly
- Place your order by clicking “add to cart”
Information you should know before using it:
Before you prefer to use this medicine, know in which condition you could consume it and in which condition you should not.
- People who have heart disease should definitely avoid using this medication as it may cause heart attack, stroke or sudden death.
- Stop taking this medicine if you are allergic to it.
- Avoid using Ritalin If you have used MAO like tranylcypromine, phenelzine, linezolid, tranylcypromine and methylene blue injection in the last 14 days.
- You should not use it during your pregnancy, or else it may cause premature birth.
Who should not use this medication?
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Tourette’s syndrome
- If suffering from anxiety or agitation
- Overactive thyroid
- Severe anxiety
- Problems with the intestines, oesophagus, stomach
Should avoid using this medicine.
Tell your doctor;
- If you are breastfeeding or planning to have a baby, your doctor may suggest alternatives or may advise you to take some precautions with this medicine.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms in the baby (while you are on your medication such as sleep problems, agitation, reduced weight gain or feeding problems.
- If you are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- If you are using any medicines for Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, depression, serious infections, mental illness, vomiting, nausea or any other opioids or herbal products.
- If you have a planned surgery.
- If any member of your family has:
- mental illness
- bipolar disorder psychosis
- drug addiction
- blood circulation problems in the feet and hand
Direction to use this medicine:
- Follow the doctor’s advice before using the medicine, and do as exactly as prescribed.
- Read all the guides and prescription labels carefully.
- As Ritalin is a high-powered medicine with a high chance of becoming addicted, so avoid misusing it to reduce the risk of overdose, severe side effects and death.
- Doctors usually prescribe Ritalin IR to take twice or thrice a day, 45min before having a meal.
- And Ritalin LA extended-release capsule once a day, in the morning with or without a meal.
- Never change the dose timing without permission, take the medicine the same way every day.
- Do not try to crush, break or chew the tablet, swallow the whole, in case you are facing a problem you can also mix it with pudding, yoghurt or soft food such as applesauce and consume the whole mixture.
- If you are switching to an alternative brand or strength, your doses might need to be changed with the doctor’s recommendation.
- Use only medicine that has been prescribed to you to avoid risks and medication errors.
- Doctor’s counselling and other treatments are also important parts of this medication.
- Regular check-up of heart and blood pressure is mandatory.
- Your doctor may increase, decrease or stop the doses to check the symptoms and results of this medicine.
- Do not stop taking this Ritalin without permission to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Keep track of your medicine doses, because it may become very dangerous if any other person uses it without a prescription.
- Flush the expired or broken medicine to lower the risk.
Caution and Precautions
- The prolonged period of usage may become an addiction or habit forming. So keep away this medicine from a person with a history of drug addiction.
- Misuse can cause life-threatening side effects or death. So use the medicine in a proper way.
- Never chew, crush or break the tablet, do not try to inject it into the vein by mixing it with other substances.
- Avoid using if you have taken MAO in the last 14 days.
- People with high blood pressure and heart disease should not use it to avoid the risk of stroke, heart attack and sudden death.
- Someone who has a history of mental illness, depression, or bipolar disorder may face worsening psychosis while using it, better to avoid to reduce the risk.
- It is not approved to use by someone under 6 years old.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking this medicine
Selling or buying Ritalin Online and offline without permission is illegal.
- Keep the doses in a safe place away from children and drug-addicted people. Because a single dose can affect the body badly.
- Drug administration of Ritalin should be done with proper prescription and precautions.
Negative consequences of Ritalin
Ritalin has a high chance of risk, so do not exceed your doses without the doctor’s knowledge, it can cause side effects. Side effects could be common as well as severe and can be seen and vary from person to person.
Severe side effects:
- signs of psychosis including; aggression, new behaviour problems, hallucinations, hostility
- signs of heart problems including trouble breathing, chest pain, feeling like you might pass out
- Painful penis erection
- signs of circulation problems – unexplained wounds, cold feeling, numbness, pain, or change in skin colour(toe, finger)
- fast heart rate
- loss of coordination
- Muscle stiffness
Common Side Effects:
- Mood changes
- Increased blood pressure
- Feeling nervous or irritable
- Trouble sleeping
- pounding heartbeats
- fast heart rate
- fluttering in your chest
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain
- dry mouth
Contact your doctor or call for a medical emergency immediately if you are experiencing any of the symptoms. Proper drug administration should be done properly to avoid side effects.
What to do under the condition of Overdose and Missed dose?
While using Ritalin, sometimes you may overdose your amount or sometimes you may miss a dose. Avoid doing both things to keep yourself safe and risk-free.
Increasing the doses or using it as a drug by injecting it into a vein can cause dangerous side effects or death. Always use the medicine as exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Overdose symptoms include;
- muscle twitches
- muscle pain or weakness
- fast or pounding heartbeats
- Rapid breathing
- dry mouth
- dilated pupils
- pounding in your neck or ears
- feeling light-headed
There could be other symptoms that may not have been mentioned here. If you are facing any of the symptoms, call for medical help immediately. Avoid exceeding your doses without the doctor’s concern.
In case you missed a dose, try to take it as soon as possible. If it’s already time for the next dose then skip the missed one. Never take two tablets at a time, take the medicine the same way every day.
Other Drug Interaction
Do not mix Ritalin with other medications, tell your doctor if you are also using it;
- Some herbal products
- an antidepressant
- seizure medication
- blood pressure medication
- a blood thinner – Coumadin, warfarin, Jantoven
- cold or allergy medications
Available Alternatives to treat ADHD
It is not known, how will Ritalin affect each case, it may show its result instantly or it may take a lot of time to show its effects. These are some alternatives to Ritalin, you can use with your doctor’s recommendation.
What are the possible side effects of Ritalin?
Side effects could be common as well as severe and can be seen and vary from person to person. Fast heart rate, twitching, loss of coordination, diarrhoea, fever, muscle stiffness, shivering, Nausea, Vomiting, aggression, new behaviour problems, hallucinations, hostility, unexplained wounds, cold feeling, numbness, pain, or change in skin colour these are some of the symptoms of side effects.
What should someone do in case of overdose?
If someone has overdosed on Ritalin, immediately take him\her to the hospital or contact a doctor without delay. Overdose can cause severe effects like dilated pupils, fever, pounding in your neck or ears, sweating, headache, feeling light-headed, fainting, and tremor. So be careful while using it.
What things need to avoid during Ritalin medication?
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking the medicine, either it may cause severe side effects or death if alcohol gets mixed with Ritalin. This medicine can affect your thinking or reaction, so it’s better not to do hazardous work until you know the effect of Ritalin on your body. You may feel drowsiness and tired with this medicine, so it is better to keep control until you get used to it.
How to store Ritalin tablets?
Store the tablets in a safe place in an airtight container away from heat, and moisture. Make sure to keep it away from children and someone with a history of drug addiction. Because using a single dose without a doctor’s prescription can cause death. Flush the used or expired tablets to reduce the risk.